Can you help us?
We are always looking for additional help to keep our group running smoothly. From occasionally helping out at weekly meetings or becoming an instructor for adventurous activities to becoming a uniformed leader, everyone’s contribution is valuable. If you’d like to volunteer then please feel free to chat to any of our leaders or get in touch via the Contact Us page.
Group Scout Leader
We are currently looking for someone to take on the role of Group Scout Leader (GSL). The GSL is the senior leader within the scout group, leading the team of adults who run the group sections. This role will suit a skilled manager, with or without prior experience of scouting.
This is a voluntary role, there are no fixed hours, though the commitment required will usually be of the order of a few hours per week, at times to suit the individual.
The role of Group Scout Leader breaks down into five main areas:
- Ensure that the Scout Group thrives and has the best systems in place to support adult volunteers and develop the Group – including a Group Executive Committee and Section leadership teams.
- Provide line management and support to the Leaders in the Scout Group, including setting objectives for their work and holding regular reviews and one-to-one meetings.
- Ensure that the Scout Group has an adequate team of supported and appropriate adults working effectively together and with others to meet the Scouting needs of the area.
- Ensure that a challenging, exciting and balanced programme is offered to young people in the Scout Group.
- Work with the District Commissioner, Deputy District Commissioner(s) and other Group Scout Leaders in the District to ensure that the District thrives and supports Scout Groups.
If you are a skilled manager, who can lead an organisation and work with a range of people and if you can spare the time to make a difference for young people, then this role could be for you. Prior experience of scouting would be helpful, but certainly isn’t essential due to a wide ranging support network within the Scouting organisation.
If you feel this challenge is for you, please speak to any of the leaders at the weekly meetings or email your application to email@example.com.